Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Spider plate welding

Sorry for the lengthy delay between posts. I had three annual inspections to do, the Jenny needed some attention and had to fix a friend's Jungmeister cowl.

But this evening was rather productive.  The majority of the first spider plate lightening hole reinforcement strips were welded in place.


The long pieces of angle aluminum are used to keep the spider plate flat.  Since there is a lot of welding, the metal warps from the heat.  These angles act as a flat jig. I weld in the open areas, move the angles, then weld the remaining spots.  So far, it has kept the spider plate straight.

Here you can see the reinforcement strips.

Enjoy

Brian

Monday, April 18, 2016

Spider Plate welding and Tampier Throttle

The process of welding the spider plate reinforcements has begun.


Inside each opening, a piece if  0.090 in. thick steel is welded in place. It is 1 inch wide. 

This is a slow and tedious process but I will post progress pictures as the happen.

After dinner, Alex Hansen come over and we began working on the replica Tampier Throttle which consists of a large throttle lever and a smaller mixture control knob.I wasn't able to find many pictures of an original throttle, but here is what I found:


I
I did find Mark Miller's fantastic computer generated images though.....








Paul Dougherty was kind enough to share his original Tampier drawings.

 
 I decided not to make an exact replica, but rather one that looks pretty darn close and follows the same dimensions.  Another change - modern pilots are used to levers going forward to increase the engine speed and richen the mixture. The LeRhones, work the other way! Take a closer look at Mark's picture.

We are going to extend the bottom of the levers so the linkages can work like modern airplanes.

On to AutoCad.....



The parts have been sent to Dynamic Edge Technology for water jet cutting.  I also ordered the round stock to make the knobs on the lathe.

More soon

Brian

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Longerons cut and spliced

New tubes had to be spliced into the original structure.  What was left of the original tubes were cut to an angle and the new tubes cut to match.


An additional "sleeve" of a smaller diameter tube was cut so as to extend  into the original structure.


The new tube was slid back into place and a 1/8 in gap was left for welding.  Also notice the holes for the future rosette welds.


 This was done for all four longerons.



Once the spider plate was squared and vertical, the longerons were marked.....


...and the tubes cut to match.


All four longerons were trimmed.  It's beginning to look like a Nieuport again.



 
More soon.  Enjoy.

Brian

Friday, April 1, 2016

Spider plate update

I got word that the spider plate was ready for pickup the other day.  I met Thad Porkowski at Dynamic Edge Technology in Newnan, GA.  He and his brother's company made all the water jet fittings for our Jenny restoration.  Thad was kind enough to give me a tour of the place while I was there too.


I had Thad cut the side and top pieces as well.


The side pieces are welded onto the spider plate for strength.  Grabbing the ever-so-handy angle magnets, the side pieces were held firmly in place.






Lots of tack welds......


To limit distortion, only a section at a time was finish welded.





Eventually, the bead stretched from one side to the other.


You can see where we are going with this! 


More soon.  Enjoy.



Brian